Stampin' Up! Independent Demonstrator

The header at the top of this page was created in My Digital Studio.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Honor Flight Card

What a thrill today to receive an email from another stamper who featured one of my cards on her blog!  To see the post, click on the icon on the left or go to http://stampingjo.com/my-crafty-friends-monday/my-crafty-friends-monday-66/ .  She has featured several other cards/stampers, too.  It's a great blog to visit.  For the record, I don't know Josee.  I was surprised to get her email and quite excited to see my card on her blog.  Thanks, Josee!

And now, here's a new card for you.  I recently learned about the Honor Flight program when my cousin sent an email saying that our uncle Ed (age 87) would be going to DC as part of the Honor Flight.  It's a program where WWII veterans are flown to DC (at no cost) to see the memorials and to be honored.  There is a mail call on the flight home, so relatives and friends were asked to send a letter ahead of time so it could be given to our loved one during the mail call.

The Honor Flight program is happening in cities across the country and has been around a while, I guess. As I said already, on the flight home, the veterans have mail call (like when they were active duty serving our country).  I googled "honor flight" and found a video on youtube showing the vets getting their mail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wty1-U3ieak).  It was quite heart-warming to watch, and I'm thrilled my uncle can be a part of it.  He goes on his trip on July 30, but since he doesn't go online, I feel pretty safe that he won't see this post.  The mail call is a surprise!  If you happen to know my wonderful uncle, don't breathe a word about it until after July 30.

Below is the card I made for Uncle Ed.  The ship is from the new Traveler stamp set.  I chose the ship because it looks a bit like the U. S. S. West Point, the ship both my uncle and my father were on when they went overseas.  I made the card quite patriotic, as you can see.






No comments:

Post a Comment